Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Why Homeschooling?

I started homeschool my children since September 2006. My eldest son was in Grade 5 and his sister, Grade 4. In the begining I wasn,t so sure how would I do it. But after talking to a few sisters from the masjid, I found out that there is an easier way to teach kids at home.

One of the sisters told me that we could enroll in the ILC (Independent Learning Centre)correspondence homeschool program. ILC homeschool program is recognised by TDSB (Toronto District School Board).

With the fee of $120 for each child, we received the course package to start the school at home. The program package came with 5 subject books. Maths, Science, Arts, Language Arts, and Social Studies. They were devided into 3 terms. The books also had lesson plan for each topic for us to follow every day. It is actually very convenient because I could adjust the time to teach at my own pace.

Anyhow, ILC would give dateline to complete each course. Usually they would give around 1 year to finish all the syallabuses. Still they'll give 2 more months extension if anychance we could not complete the course before the dateline. We have to apply for that though.

Back to the question, my husband and I decided to homeschool the children because we think that is the best for them. Being living in a multicultural and races community, we really wanted the best for our children. We want them to grow up with the good manners and good faith according to our religion.